Hello sweetie pips,

Do you know what I think? 
I think I need to take a step back from all my dining-room over-excitedness and start from the very beginning. 
{Where else?!}

Here's what we had to work with.


These pictures are from BEFORE we moved in 
so feel free to cast your judging eye quite freely.
;-)

I always try to compile 
a list of what any room has going for it 
BEFORE I start on any making over process.

I struggled to find much in this room but here's my {short} list.

A good size and shape.
The room has quite a substantial feel. It's a definite room in itself, rather than a kitchen add-on.

A fireplace 
This barely got on the nice list because it's currently so ugly but I can see there's loveliness underneath there somewhere....

Storage space under the stairs.
I can NEVER have enough storage. I always think good storage is the secret to a tidy(ish) house with four children.

Good links through to the kitchen.
The last thing I'd want is to be stranded at the back of the house slaving over dinner on my ownsome. Nope, that's not the onions making me cry.

French doors with transom window above.
More orange varnish is hiding a beautiful view.



And then I try to write
a list with what MUST CHANGE
It helps me to focus on what specifically needs to be altered.....

Namely:

All the orange pine. Bleeeugh.
The Eighties border and wallpaper. More Bleurgh.
The light fittings. Ditto.
All original features removed. Sob.


This room doesn't get a huge amount of natural light so I wanted to make it feel airy and bright by day but still warm and lovely in the evenings.

Yes, over the next few weeks, I'll be sharing how we transformed our dining room from the very outset to the finished product. I can't wait to share the full transformation with you!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top