Patricia Gray Pastel Painting Vancouver


Patricia Gray | Emily Carr University Live Model Sketch Class


This is class six of my Pastel course at Emily Carr University of Art & Design. It is the first time I have done a live model class (I won't count the one class in design school many years ago). We had a series of timed sketches. Starting out with 30 seconds which seemed impossible to capture anything. I was only able to put down a few strokes. Progressing to 60 seconds which was a little better. Then 5 minutes, which felt like an eternity. Then onto 10 minutes, when I could start to make sense of the figure and get a bit of shading and contouring. Each time the model assumed a different pose, so it was always starting from scratch. Short bursts of concentration trains the mind to capture the essence of the pose. No time to ponder, no time to correct. Just carry on. A good lesson for life also. These are 6 of the 45 sketches I completed in a three hour class. The total concentration required was exhausting but exhilarating. I will do it again!





PATRICIA GRAY INC is an award winning interior design firm in Vancouver. Here we write about lifestyle





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top